View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL!!!! Just a heads up, I got a '12 x series with the same kholer engine. From day one engine had been using oil to the point every 50 hours had to add half a quart. 240 hours into it and was fed up took into the dealer kholer looked at it and replaced the engine. Now into '13 season and guess what still using oil, I thought I was doing something wrong. Talked to the service department and found out that they sold two of those engines one being mine and have replaced both mine and the other persons engine, same reason..... Love the mower its a tank but something is wrong with the Kholer 980CC or 999CC... I hope they have fixed the problem. Good luck with the mower.
1/2 qt in 50 hrs is very acceptable by Kohler's standards (not mine), I just talked with Exmark last week and was told they were seeing oil usage during the break-in period, whatever that period may be I don't know.

I have been told by Kohler engineers at their factory more than once, that 1 oz per hr oil consumption on their air cooled engines was acceptable. I find this hard to believe, 1 oz per hr would have put your engine at 50 ozs, or 1.56 qt in 50 hrs, that is a poorly built engine by tolerance standards in my mind, and I've owned many Kohler engines.

I have found through the years if a engine begins using oil from day one, it will continue using oil, maybe to a lesser degree, but a certain amount of oil will be added between changes.

Engineers will tell you that burning a small amount of oil in an a/c engine is part of the cooling equation, how small that amount may be, I have no idea. I've owned Kohler engines of which I may add a few ounces between changes, but I've also owned the same engine where no oil may be added. This so-called cooling part of the equation does not seem to hold true where all a/c engines are concerned.

I'm honestly very surprised Kohler would OK a dealer engine swat with that small amount of oil consumption, yes, I am really "extremely" surprised. I've had their engineers make the statement, "we will not get into a warranty claim situation until a usage of 2 oz per hr for an extended period can be documented." With this statement, I'm not sure if the people were just stating their thoughts, or if in fact that was company policy. As with your engine swap, if this is company policy, it was not adhered to. I think in your case this may have to do with a good dealer, distributor, manufacturer, working relationship.

Page generated in 0.03686 seconds with 7 queries