View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
A bridge program, wisely uses the best of both worlds(natural/synthetic) to give the client what he wants as a weedfree vibrant green lawn, all thick and lush...

I use compost, Milorganite and Spot Spraying in the Spring, mostly... synthetic fert at the end of the Heat of Summer... if there is a lot of cool rainy weather I will add some more compost for overseeding and apply a fast acting fertilizer as a "Winterizer", by mid-Oct... Nothing after that except Spot Spraying broadleaf,,, if they haven't been actively growing up to that point...

I follow the weather moreso than a 'schedule'... give the lawn what it needs WHEN in needs it...
Pre-m mixed with NPK as being a "Standard" synthetic fertilizer,,, should not be called fertilizer,,, becuz pre-m inhibits growth and has nothing to do with a healthy lively soil/plant in a sustainable way or otherwise...
Thanks Rabbitman11...
Thank you. This is similiar to what I have been thinking. I forgot to mention that I also topdress with spent mushroom soil in the fall (don't have access to good leaf compost which would be my first choice).

I use Milorganite from May (Memorial Day) to early Sep (Labor Day) because microbe activity necesary to convert the nitrogen to a grass usable form should be max during the warmest seasons. I may be misunderstanding your statement end of heat of summer but are you referring to late September (you are probably zone 5 and I am zone 7 so we may have to adjust when comparing timing)? If so, I think we are using similiar approaches except for the PreM.

I would prefer not to use PreM but I have trouble controlling crabgrass without it. Other weeds I can control with a thick healthy lawn and spot treatment with herbicides. Is there a better solution for crabgrass?

Page generated in 0.03579 seconds with 7 queries