View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
PSC-

I lifted this from Kohler's site, but my Kawi manual says the same thing. Have you tried this? I don't like to shut them down at such high rpm's (old school habit). I idle mine down for at least 30 seconds, usually a full minute before shut down, and I've had zero backfires. I just idle down while getting the blower fired up to blow everything including the mower, off.-

"Why does my engine backfire when I shut it off?

Your owner's manual lists the proper shutdown procedures to avoid this occurrence. If your engine is equipped with a fuel shut-off solenoid, be certain to set the throttle between half and full throttle before turning the key switch to OFF
."

That is how I shut it down. At first I was shutting it down at idle like every other mower I have ever owned. When doing that it would backfire at shut down. Once I started shutting it down at half to full throttle it no longer backfires at shut down but about once a day it will backfire when I start it. I cringe and grit my teeth every time I start it after the initial start of the day because I never know when its going to backfire.

Couple that problem with the thread on this 31hp kawi and how people have had them kick rods around the 1000 to 1300 hour mark and the extreme fuel usage makes me want to get rid of it. I can tell you guys this right here and now. This is my last kawasaki period. If I can work something out with my dealer I will be on a new 460 with the 29hp efi kohler or maybe even a new 160 with the efi kohler. I could save a couple grand going with the 160 and still have the new baffled xfactor II deck, efi kohler and michigan suspension seat AND about 300 pounds lighter. Obviously it wont be quite as smooth as the 460 but I love my current 160 and it would not hurt my feelings to get another one with the latest upgrades.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Page generated in 0.04081 seconds with 7 queries