View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Been trying to respond but looks like my account got locked out somehow so I had to make this one.

I did all this work in early april:

Grass was:

Beneath it:

Previous owners only threw a couple inches of top soil over the 5 inches sand and surely some cheap seed down without even bothering to level it out. Very bumpy.

Too much sand to mix it in, needed to be removed. Did only the worst 1/3 of the lawn this spring, I'll do the rest in the fall. This will be good start/test. Removed top layer of sod and soil with shovel, then shoveled out all sand. Wheel barrow chose a great time to break, resorted to 5 gallon buckets for most of it. Over a dump truck load of sand came out, took a week of hard labor.

This is only half of what came out, all gone now, thanks Craigslist)

Dug down deep to make sure there was no more sand, laid previously removed sod grass side down, buried it with mix of clean top soil and compost. Kept grade lower intentionally as it was built up higher than it should have been. Leveled ground.

Bought:

- Kentucky Bluegrass Grass Seed 98/85
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160879703518...84.m1439.l2649

- Scotts Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer (AI: Mesotrione)
http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/sta...er/prod100048/

Applied both in correct proportions, watered.

April 6:

May 1:

May 12:

May 22: (Taken while raining)

I wasn't even able to grow any grass in this area before because of all the sand, so this is really great. It's come in pretty good, but the crabgrass preventer wasn't 100% effective and I've had to hand pull it here and there.

There are a few areas that have still not grown over one inch tall, and the blades are a bit yellow. Here's a pic:

I'm not sure why this is. There are also many ant mounds in these areas. I'm guessing this is due to sandier soil in these areas, and its inability to retain moisture and nutrients compared to a loamier soil. I've fertilized it with nitrogen, didn't seem to help it. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Last edited by Motaro2; 05-23-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.03278 seconds with 7 queries