View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post

If a solenoid draws 0.2 amps with 24 volts applied, it shows an impedance of 120 ohms.
No matter how i respond to your post it sounds like i am attacking you when i'm not.

The answer to my question is "you can't know E or R without measuring them."

You can shift focus by introducing phase angle, impedance and reactance and quoting Wikki or ABC or my main reference guide UGLY'S but my question was what are E and R? Without measuring them you don't know, you assume.

When high or low current is at fault in a system, one can choose a path to troubleshoot by measuring I-E-R.

High I should be blowing fuses and either R will measure low or Line/transformer output will measure extremely high.

If the I is low or non-existent then the R will be very high, up to and including infinity.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, an electrical circuit has to have E and R to produce useable I and these have to each be in porportion to each other.

Your journey into Z (impedance) and X (reactance) as well as phasing (measured L-1 to ground and L-2 to ground) may be above the pay grade of most of this crowd (i'm no electrical engineer) but bottom line, not the answer.

Solenoids are manufactured to specific resistance ranges to reduce current loads, and have been so since the 70s.

The standard 20-60 ohms still works for the most part when diagnosing a solenoid and wire path.

Below 8 still means there is a short somewhere and 180 still gives heed to poor splicing.

When i see high amps and blown fuses i look at the resistance of the solenoid and the wire path along with the line and transformer output.

Beats hell outta putting in higher amperage fuses.

No harm, no foul
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.04413 seconds with 7 queries