View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've read through the posts, but I don't recall the OP saying anything about a business plan. Also, I don't recall him saying anything about the nature of the industry. Why did you choose to start a business that requires little startup capital, and requires little skill or know-how? These two elements of lawn services that are focused on mowing mean that the market is full of people with little investment and have nothing that is unique to offer the marketplace.

Being in sales, the OP should understand that the most successful businesses are those that offer something unique. In grass cutting, the range of function is very small. Oh yes, some do a better job of trimming, others can do a better job because they have a power bagger, etc. But, by and large, most grass cutters fit into a narrow band of skills they bring to the table. In other words, your new business is just "one of many."

As others have said, the path to full work load is usually a slow, steady one. It is not the kind of business that lends itself to instant success. After being on LS for many years, reading many posts, observing other LCOs in my area come and go, I think most get out of the business before they get very far at being highly efficient and productive. While the base skills are part of a short list at the beginning, and not much different a couple of years later. However, gaining on productivity is very important, and I think most are out of the business before gaining much in this department.

I am not alone that can testify to word of mouth and networking for getting new work. While marketing tools, such as a web page and EDDM may be useful, getting the new customer next door, across the street, reaching the point of picking and choosing the new customer, takes time. It does not happen overnight. If a potential customer is pleased with their current LCO, you will find it hard to pry them away. Yes, some will "price shop," but your price won't be much different, and the potential customer may not be moved. And, if they are a "price shopper," you know they will drop you as quickly as the last LCO, and these are not good customers anyway.

It would seem that you would be better served to leverage your experience in sales. Sales people are the most nimble and flexible people around. Getting into an industry you know little about, an industry filled with many other noobies, an industry of menial tasks for which there is little unique you can offer, may not be a very good idea.

Page generated in 0.03502 seconds with 7 queries