View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit28 View Post
I'll be looking at Gravely tomorrow.
Thanks for all the reviews!
All of my accounts are strickly maintained top to bottom myself. This includes irrigation set up,
applications, seasonal overseeding, aeration etc..... and of course mowing.

Coming from the South, I've always ran snapper with high end results. Since moving from TX to Minnesota, I've found the the conditions for maintenance of cool season grass like KBG are a different animal.
The snapper still lays a great smooth cut and stripes very well if the lawn is dry. I've had numerous compliments and have even won a couple lawn of the month awards with that mower.

I started out in the business in 1987, grew it to a decent 3 crew operation and used that snapper since 1995. I've had exmark lazers too, but the snapper always held up better in the spindles and has outlasted everything else I've owned, such as the toro mid sized walks and the exmarks ztr's.that had seized spindles ...

maybe it's a fluke but the little 14 hp Kawi on that snapper still spins the BTS like new, and under thick lush growth will spin dual bladed spindles to boot. The snapper is a pro series 4 hydro 48" fixed deck. I've had the mower so long I have it tuned, leveled and spaced accordingly for a table top smooth cut that stripes very well.

The only problem is now trying to go as fast but it throws clumps of KBG if it's moist. Even slowing down it will throw clumps if it's moist. So since I provide 100% service on all of my accounts, I will be looking at the 100XDZ series with a Kawi with post 20,000 serial number. Not worried of the deck height change location as that won't be used unless seasonal conditions warrant. All of my accounts are cut at the same height.

All I can say at this point is the Gravely Xfactor II deck sounds right for the cool season grass
I have to use it on.

If I were still in TX, I wouldn't even consider another mower than my old Snapper.
There are a lot of guys here that love the 100 series. Get a good demo in and let us know what you think! The new deck can be fine tuned for your conditions. With wet or tall grass open up the baffles, when dry or short move the baffles down some. The 100 series is a small frame mower unlike the 200 and 400 series so you can get into tighter spots and will have a ton of deck overhang for trimming up close. I think you will like it. Either way please give us your opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03469 seconds with 7 queries