View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
I have a question for you just to satisfy my own curiosity. Do you really find dry seed/straw much cheaper than hydroseeding?

My thoughts run something like this. You would be using pretty much the same seed at the same rate, so the cost should be the same. You would be using pretty much the same fertilizer in the same amounts so that cost should be about the same. I haven't bought enough straw to know how that compares but a bale of hydromulch about equals about two bales of straw in the area that it covers and a bale of straw sells for about half the price of a bale of hydromulch so that cost should be about equal.

My material cost to hydroseed is about 2.1 cents a sq. ft. When I factor in that I could hydroseed faster with less labor cost (I work alone so have no other labor cost).

I do hear a lot of different costs per sq. ft. to hydroseed and you are in a somewhat hotter climate so that could run up your material costs as well but I would be interested in how you feel the costs to dry seed compare to the cost to hydroseed.
My finn is 500gal tank I can do 4500 to 5000 per tank
4 bales 50lbs seed, Glue to a tank takes anywhere from a 1hr to empty the tank then 30min mix a tank. On site water might take longer, Faster drive to water plant Then again takes more time. Big jobs I have a 2,000 gal tanker we take.
My Finn straw blower will blow 125 bales per hr With hose on blows 50-60 bales per hr
So I have more Labor in Hydro seeding or more time So I can blow straw faster and cheaper then the hydro seeding in labor cost Material cost is close with paper mulch now with wood fiber straw is really cheaper

Ground is work same way
I would give my price but few watchers on here I don't want them to know

Page generated in 0.04610 seconds with 7 queries