Thread: In a turf war!
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
My point was that cool season grasses do not grow healthier when fert is applied just as it is awakening in the Spring... The second point was that when we talk about 6 pounds of N we mean 6 lbs of N, not 6 pounds of fertilizer of which 44% of it is N... that was the meaning of the Roundup question...
Anyways, there are always laws restricting the use of fertilizers(esp. containing P), being debated in the legislature and the results are never good... the proponents of banning ferts/'cides always have a reason for their side by noting that people are dumping ferts/'cide on their lawns to excess...
So when someone is irritated to hear how irresponsibly ferts are beingdumped onto lawns, you shouldn't just assume "Berrating" w/out reason, but may want to consider that your practices create a problem for everyone else...
I remember TGCL dumping fert in granules on the frozen turf of a hillside overlooking the Lake and you can bet I "berrated" them to anyone and everyone that would listen... overtime TGCL was fired by everyone in those neighborhoods...
BTW, I don't need to learn how to force green in the Spring at the expense of the roots development, during that period... but thanks for the offer...
And I don't see why having the Nitrogen there when the grass is wanting it is a bad thing...we apply fall NH3 to corn fields and spray 28% on frozen ground for wheat...both grasses. There are studies from the University of Colorado indicating a much higher utilization rate of N when a hi dose is applied late in the Fall for Spring.

And to your second point, at least on the ag side, we ALWAYS talk in use rate, not AI. 32oz of Roundup PowerMax is 32oz total, 150 # ESN per acre is just that, not 150# of the N equivalent...so when I stated in my first post that I was using 8# of 12-12-12 per 1000 feet, I'm only putting down .96 # of N, P, and K per 1000 or right at 43# (give or take) per acre. Hardly what I would call excessive, perhaps heavy on the P and K, but very light on N. I wasn't aware that the turf markets used AI, that seems like it would be horribly confusing!

Page generated in 0.04879 seconds with 7 queries