View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member
Steiner 220 Help !!! Loss of Power

I just picked up a Steiner 220 mower a few weeks ago for the new house I just bought. I have about 2.2 - 2.5 acres to mow and wasn't going to do it with the 38" Snapper Zero Turn so anyways...

Stats of the mower:

Steiner 220 Turf Mower
2300 hours
72" Deck
20HP Onan Motor

I was also mowing an area where my goat pen is and its relatively high grass now since the previous owner didn't mow it before giving us posession anyhow away i started mowing and fairly slow just to ease into the grass and all of a sudden i felt a mild "thunk" and then the mower seemed to power down. it actually powered down where it stalled out and i just figured that it was set too low.

I re-adjusted got it started and then engaged the blades and drove it a forward. I felt a loss in power to the point where it stalled it out, and then I started it back up and it seemed fine except now the motor sounds a little louder and theres a tad bit more vibration.

i decided to cut my losses as I was running out of daylight and thought i would just get back to it later. i noticed it was a little low on Oil as well because at that same time the oil light was glaring at me. I filled accordingly and let it rest.

I went back to the new place and decidd to try to dig into the mower again and found that the air hat was lose and there appeared to be a "more than normal" amount of oil/sludge liquid around the top of the airfilter. I disconnected the belt to the blades to see if maybe something got jammed up in the blade/spindle assembly and it didn't appear to be the issue.

so I put eveything back together and was on level ground and attempted to mow again. as soon as i engaged the blades and started moving forward, i went over a little bit of grass and it sounded like it was about to stall out.

Moral of my issue, i lose power now when i move forward and it doesn't seem to go much faster than 5-7mph and it used to fly at the 11mph....

The only thing I hadn't checked yet was hydraulic fluid/torq fluid resivoir.

anyone experienced this before?? Anything to help is greatly appreciated...i hope its just somethin stupid....

Thanks in advance...

Page generated in 0.03352 seconds with 8 queries