View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Those are some nice looking properties man! Ok lemme start off with a little background on my operation experience for you.

I've been in the industry for almost 6 years now, I own my own business now and have worked for two large, reputable companies around here as well. I started off on JD equipment with the first company and worked there for 2.5 years. After I moved over to the second company I was operating Walkers and worked there for the better part of 2 years. So needless to say, I have cut some grass in my short time in the industry.

During my time with the second company, we mowed mainly commercial properties. Walmarts and large areas like them. Being on the edge of the flint hills in Kansas, there is a fair amount of uneven, undulating terrain we have to mow. I will come out and say that in my experience there is not a mower that can cut uneven terrain like a walker. I loved operating them based on the finished look of the property.

Now, this is where the ferris comes in and I'm sorry for the long winded response. I'm trying to reassure that I'm at least somewhat qualified to give my opinion lol. Ferris is, without a doubt the most comfortable mower on uneven, rough terrain that you can get. When my old boss moved from the SD Walkers to the Ferris machines it literally knocked an amazing amount of time off our properties. I'm talking 20-30 min on a 2.5 hour property. Keep in mind, we went from three walkers to two Ferris.

Now to shed some light on your main concern green, the cut. I'll start off by being completely honest and saying that I have never cut a property like you showed in those pictures as low as you described. Around here 3" is about as low as you want to go on our turf. Now, this doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to make it happen, I just don't have any experience with that type of manicured cutting.

Bringing up point number two. The terracing, if you want to call it that. Out of all the hours riding this machine, I can safely say that as long as you have the proper amount of air in your tires, the suspension will do what it is designed to do. Give a good ride, and follow the ground contour. As far as leaning and cutting lower on one side while on hills, I have never experienced anything that would concern me regarding this. Of course it is still a large ztr and you will need to float the deck in certain areas and at different points as you mow. I don't think there is a mower made that will perfectly follow every contour that lies in the grass. I was operating a 72" version, so of course a smaller 61" will have different results I'm sure.

The machine I used had the pre ICD deck on it, and I was not impressed by the finished cut that it left compared to that of the 7 iron deck and walker decks that I had used in the past. However, I hear the ICD deck they have now is a thing of beauty, idk as I have never seen one. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exmark smooth either.

In summary, you won't find a machine that will out cut the Ferris in my opinion. I hear puppy talking about his super z being the ultimate caddilac of the grass world and I have no experience on the new version, but I own a 2010 66" super z with flex forks and suspension seat that came with my business and it doesn't even touch the ferris. In fact it's not even in the same league as far as ride quality goes. I would own own a Ferris in a heartbeat if I could afford one. I priced one this spring out of curiosity and was told 12,500+ before tax. Can't swing that yet.

I hope you get your problems with mowers sorted out with as little headache as possible green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the great review!!! When I demoed(ICD version) I felt a lot of deck movement, especially on side hills and rough terrain(wash board) but all the time. Did you feel any of this? Here in NH we have a lot of hills so hillside stability is a big concern for me. I didn't like the feeling of the heavy deck mowing, to me it took away from the over feel of the machine. I did not get any scalping as I know that is a concern of Greenology.

Page generated in 0.03783 seconds with 7 queries