View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You NEED air moving out of the cutting area (OUT from under the deck) to create vacuum to stand the grass up. This will help to achieve a clean cut (assuming your blades are sharp) to AVOID that brownish haze on the tips of your grass blades resulting from tearing/mulching. Mulching just beats your turf up, imho.

Will recommend you contact your State Extension office for a better idea of how to care for your lawn...and WHEN to do the proper steps. You are doing too much and want results too quickly.
~Wait until early Sept to seed and fertilize.
~Fertilize again in in mid-late Oct.
~Early Spring fertilizer is not necessary and results in too much top growth.
~A vigorously growing lawn doesn't mean it is a healthy lawn.
~Turf NEEDS SOME STRESS to be healthy...so don't baby it by over-watering or over-treating it with fertilizers/etc, especially at the wrong times of the year.

My State Extension office offers a weekly E-newsletter that I've read for several years now. They aren't trying to SELL anything...so this info is intended to help one to help themself with lawn/garden/landscaping questions/situations. I don't know if your State Extension office offers something like this, but my guess is you'll at least be able to research their archives for whatever issue you wish to address.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings

Page generated in 0.03696 seconds with 7 queries