View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanniqm View Post
I know it's been a while, but what was the outcome of this? Did you have to hire a lawyer, I'm in a similar situation right now, apparently you get 3 comaplaints with them but I got fed up and told them to go to hell, now they are suing me for $4000, I never saw the 5 year contract on the text...

Thanks,
Giovanni
I worked for the laundry business for 4 years as a service manager. I took customers to court, some I won...some I didn't. Here is the rundown for anyone looking at a uniform service.

Those contracts they make you sign----99% of the time they are for 5 years. Read the small print, some will say automatic renewal after the initial 5 years for ANOTHER 5 years. It's all about wording to them.

Damaged goods----They determine if it was damaged by you, or them. They will often try to pass it off saying you did it and charge you accordingly. Pay attention to your bill, look for charges like: Loss, damage, replacement. Make sure you know what is going out to be cleaned....they get sneaky sometimes saying your worker "never turned his in" and will bill you for a lost garment.

Now, onto the court topic. Letters by certified mail always helps you out. Send a few though, timing is the key. Build a case against them and you have a MUCH better shot at winning. Contact your service manager too, let him know how unhappy you are. Some contracts state the company has 90 days to fix any problems with service. Read your contract to find out and follow what it says to do. Most of the time, if an account was small, I would tell them we would sue. Would we really? Nope! Sometimes you can even offer to buy out your contract.

You know that awesome driver who knows how upset you are? Chances are he's making commision off how much he bills you. Some uniform companies pay drivers commision so they will charge as much as possible. But the #1 rule of uniform and textile companies....EVERYTHING is negotiable.

Garment Prep charge-Negotiate
Delivery Charge- Negotiate
Inventory percentage- Negotiate
Loss charges- Negotiate
Contract terms/conditions- Negotiate
Length of contract-Negotiate

These companies make a lot of money, but don't let them toss you around. Everything is negotiable.

Page generated in 0.04978 seconds with 7 queries