Thread: Trailer Tires
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
The disinformation in this thread is likely what is most dangerous.

2. Two years is about the most you're going to get out of tires on a dual axle trailer.

3. On a dual axle trailer any more than 6 plies isn't really helping, two years is two years, your tires are wearing because of the turns, dual axles stay rigid through out the turns and that is what causes wear, more plies spends more money but it doesn't keep the tread from getting roughed around.

4. You want longer lasting tires, get radials but you're still not getting much past 2 years on a dual axle.
I agree, your misinformation is astonishing.

I do get more than 2 years out of tires. My original tires were 205-15 trailer tires. They went for 5 years. My current tires are 225-15 radial trailer tires. They currently have 5 years on them.

It's not that a trailer is rigid that causes problems with tires on tandem axle trailers. And the problem isn't that the tread wears off. Tires on tandem axle trailer are subject to twisting forces that far exceed anything an auto or truck tire would ever see. Tandem axle dump trucks have the same twisting forces on their rear tires. When you make a turn one tire is going to be dragged around the corner and the other tire will be twisted. It's just the nature of having 2 tires trying to do the job of 1.

Trailer tires are specially constructed to withstand these twisting forces better than auto and truck tires.

Page generated in 0.04412 seconds with 7 queries