View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Not that this may be practical or even possible where Dana lives..... I live up in the foothills in So Cal and we are considered to be in a high danger fire zone. My In-Laws live right next door and they have more exposure to a heavily wooded area so every year their insurance company has a company that they contract with who comes out and sprays the top half of their hillside with Phos-Check. From what I understand it can last for an entire season. We usually brush cut the grassy weeds and remove the larger branches and fuel first and then it gets sprayed. The same company that sprays the Phos-Check also has a private monitoring service and if fire comes within X amount of miles they send out a private crew to hose everything down again and stay on site until any danger has passed. I had never heard of such a thing but I though that it was pretty cool. I'm guessing that it costs less for the insurance company to do this than to replace a multi-million dollar home and it's contents.
From what I read last week, I think it was 45% of Colorado Springs is in a high fire hazard.
After last years fire, they have been amending building codes about the combustible materials. I don't remember what they can and can't use, but I'll try to find out. Problem is, that they said last year that some of the homes had the best materials possible, and had done all the mitigation needed, but the houses still burned up. That's what happens with high winds and homes built with materials that will burn. Unless you want a concrete house with a concrete border around it, it will burn up.

We live where we live for different reasons, and take the consequences as they come. Same with the folks in tornado alley, or along the rivers that flood, or along the coasts with hurricanes, and in areas with earthquakes. We can build all the precautions possible into the homes, but they will still be ravaged with the right conditions. Mother Nature is much stronger and smarter than we are, and she is fighting back

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 7 queries