View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
It was the worst cutting mower in wet grass that I ever owned.
I haven't had to cut soaking wet grass with my Gravely Pro Ride yet but I have had to cut some spring grass/weeds that are by nature very moist and sticky (some of them) and I (and everyone else around here, regardless of brand) do get clipping buildup during this time. I have had a little of the buildup drop off while cutting in these conditions but the blades always caught/hit the buildup as it came off and spread it around. But certainly not of the amount (like a big cow turd) that Gene gls says he has had happen with him. I am going to paste a few replies to a similar statement he made in another thread about the EverRide Warrior from 2010.

I'm not attacking or saying that his statement wasn't true...just that there were serveral other guys(in this thread and others that I have read) that didn't have the issues that Gene gls had. See below;

gene gls
LawnSite Silver Member Join Date: Dec 1999

The EverRide deck is only good for "dry" grass. Wet grass collects in the left blade tonnel and drops like a big cow turd. It makes a hella of mess. The 25HP is not enough engin for the 60" deck. Also, blade selection is very limitted due to the 9/16 dia bolt hole. I quit mowing with mine and put a push blade on it and used it as a minni dozer for landscaping.

lawns Etc
LawnSite Silver Member Join Date: Jul 2006

I disagree with gene I had 3 Warriors 2 2Kawi and 1 27 Kohler the 25 is plenty. The deck IMO is one of the best all around super wet grass you may have to scrape the deck every few yards but most mowers are like that and Ive owned many brands JD 7 Irion is best in wet grass. There is a limited blade selection but go to a machine shop and get 5/8 grade 8 bolts necked down to 9/16 thread and run Bobcat 21" blades and you will see a world of difference. IMO the Warrior is a great machine that never took off If Exmark or another large player made that mower it would have been another story.

06-25-2010, 06:05 AM
grassman177
LawnSite Fanatic Join Date: Oct 2007

guy must be hard against them, we have 4 currently and have owned two others in the past. great machines and cut is great, never buildup at all. gator blades will reduce the clipping size, but we double cut if needed as if it is long, you waited too long! of course rain is a huge factor out of your control

06-25-2010, 09:49 PM
lzrj
LawnSite Member Join Date: Mar 2006

I currently have a 54" with a 25hp kawi. Had it 3 1/2 years now with 160 hours. I have only once actually got the deck so caked with grass it quit cutting. That was on my neighbors 3 acres after of 2 hours of non stop cutting grass about a foot high high and as wet and thick as you can imagine. I have never had any other cutting problems then that one time. The clippings is the biggest downfall of this machine if there really is one. If I cut every week then the clippings are not a problem but if i wait two weeks, they are noticable. Overall the warrior is a great machine. I was not brand biased and tested every make before buying. Although I liked many of the machines (Scags the best), this machine was just "beefier" then the others. I also got it thousands cheaper then the others so I went for it. I dont have any regrets with the purchase and it has served me well. Only had two issues. One was a wrong size wheel belt from the factory and the center spindle went bad. They since went with a larger size spindle to fix that problem which I replaced it with. Hope my review helped you.

lzrj

06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
topsites
LawnSite Fanatic Join Date: Mar 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls
The EverRide deck is only good for "dry" grass. Wet grass collects in the left blade tonnel and drops like a big cow turd. It makes a hella of mess. The 25HP is not enough engin for the 60" deck. Also, blade selection is very limitted due to the 9/16 dia bolt hole. I quit mowing with mine and put a push blade on it and used it as a minni dozer for landscaping.
Do you own one?

Just curious because I've never experienced these problems with mine,
what you describe is the reason why the Everride has one of the largest
discharges on the market, I am telling you that hole is HUGE!

As for a mower that does 'well' in wet grass, to me that's just like certain grass seed that does 'well' in the shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridge
i like the mower and how it works for me but was wondering about the large grass clippings, would gator blades help in reduceing the size of them or in the spring do double blades or has someone have any other ideas or just double cut when needed, what works guys
They're no larger than any other mowers, we just notice it more because of how that discharge shoots the stuff out,
one reason I like the Everride's virtually limitless top end is I can ride as fast as I want and double cut a yard in no time.

33 minutes an acre, double cut, full stick.
Now personally I don't recommend pushing it that hard, it's not good at all but when mine was new I used to

Nowadays I push it some, 40-45 minutes an acre, sometimes 50, guess I'm getting old
but it just doesn't make that much of a difference to me anymore, it's all the same money
so I'd rather spend the extra time making sure it looks good than having to fork it over
for advertising expenses... See, either way it's going to cost.
Last edited by topsites; 06-25-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.04255 seconds with 7 queries