View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Think about it, back 2000 years ago Egypt did not have stainless steel vats to brew their beer. IF I understand things right they were the first to brew beer. Also were the first to give beer for wages... but that's another story.

What did the Egyptians have to make their beer in? Clay pots. Stainless steel vats or Copper pots had not even been thought of at that time.

Here's how it was put to me: What is barley, rye, oats, wheat, grain, and hops? They're a form of grass. What is thatch? Grass. ....Right?

So the yeast and other organisms in beer that eat the grains also eat the grass the grain is attached to when the grass is growing. { That's why you have to use unpasteurized beer for your lawn- for this trick to work}. Yeah, the process is a lot slower on your lawn. Takes about a month or more (depends if the weather is hot enough, and the ground is moist enough to get the yeast to multiply- and again it's not really the ground but the grass that needs these two things for the yeast to do it's thing), but yeast does the same thing on your lawn that happens in just days in a warm stainless steel vat with water and grain.

One important thing I need to point out: You don't poor the can of beer in one spot. You put it in your gallon sprayer that has not been used for other chemicals, add the other stuff like the 1/4 cup of liquid Joy dishsoap, the fill the rest with clean water, then spray your lawn.

You say the Egyptians did not have things like yeast. You're right again. But normally when the grain came in from the field, it had already the yeast on the grain. Add to that, most likely the Egyptians did not always have their moister meter out to check the water content of their grain (they had to wait 2000+ year for that), my bet is the yeast was already active. Add water to your pot and put in the grain to soak, and you got some crude form of bear.

It's been in the last 100 years we figured out what yeast was, and figured out which one did the best job that we use now for brewing. Also it helped that back 2000 years ago, they did not use new clay pots every time, so a lot of the time they had the yeast they need already in the pot- they just didn't know that.

I don't remember what channel it was on but they had one on the history of beer. If you can find it, you might want to watch it.

Last edited by D9W; 06-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 7 queries