View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Get your Michigan mosquito category license. Part one is to get rid of all the stagnant water pools and swamps, if you can. Drain, or fill in. If not, add flowing water as fountains or aeration features to keep up a mild agitation to prevent larval growth. Add fish or minnows to eat the larvae. Also you can add "Mosquito Dunks" or the commercial version of same, (bacteria that kill larvae). Mow most areas so that mosquitoes have no place to hide and more wind.

I prefer back pack mist blowers for mosquitoes. Permethrin or similar works. Truck-mounted version for large jobs.

For large areas--helicopter sprays are most efficient. You may need an aerial applicator. They can cover an acre a minute.

And you are right--mosquitoes can spoil a golf game or tennis match, likewise the flower show or soccer game.
Several of us (myself included) have many certifications for pesticides and being a municipality we do partake in storm, ditch and stagnant water treatment throughout the city as part of our annual mosquito larvae kill program. We are also members of the counties mosquito control activities and the west Nile program.
The parks we have are large and heavily wooded and unfortunately surrounded by residents which make mass helicopter spraying an impossibility. We also have a large number of day camp kids in the parks this time of year with parents who request us NOT to use pesticides or herbicides of any kind where the kids play which also lends to my problem. I guess my options are limited but am interested in some of the product suggestions listed here for smaller applications mainly for staffers and functions where consenting adults would agree with the careful use of such chemicals. May have to come in early and use the backpack tank blower. I thank you for your suggestions.

Page generated in 0.03163 seconds with 7 queries