View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Numbers

I get 15 straight local. I do not drive with a lead foot, no 20' trailer filled end to end.

A diesel is close to a $10,000 option.

I can know how to maintain and repair gas.

I know you have to put in expensive additives with the new diesel's emission systems.

That new diesels will have to go through periodic maintenance or shut down on the road:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rryi/?page=all

Not sure if that article applies to 1/2 ton to 1 ton pick ups.

Gas is $3.70.

Diesel $4.20.

I will drive 6,000 miles this year at 15 mpg.

Gas $1,480 year.

Diesel $1,680 year at same 15 mpg.

$10,000 diesel option, more expensive to repair and maintain for me. No fuel savings but the opposite. Even if a diesel go me 20 mpg at a $1260 a year cost. That is a $220 a year savings.

$10,000 / $200 = 50 years to reach the break even point. Not all people are going up steep grades pulling 10,000 + lbs every day. They need to do the math with numbers that apply to them.

I am not a fan of the noise and smell of diesel. I have not yet had the need to justify using a diesel. Some do. I suspect many on get a diesel as a SP compensator. I see to many 3/4 DW shiny, not a scratch never used for work diesel pickups parked at the mall or supermarket.

Remember their is a difference between a need and a want.

I do not care if it takes me longer to to get up to speed. Those extra 2 seconds every time the light turns green is not worth $10,000.

Once the desired mph is reached, whether 30, 40, 50 mph is still 30, 40, 50 mph gas or diesel.

That important to hold speed up a grade, then you down shift.
I go through that much in fuel in a month with my 1/2 ton dodge.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03976 seconds with 7 queries