View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post

I appreciate that people believe that plant available P in their soil test reports is the only important numbers that matter,, but my point is that turf has the ability to utilize P beyond the "available P"...

The research does not support your opinion here. Several papers published in the journal Plant Physiology report that AMF does not increase the amount of P taken up beyond "available P", but instead expands the surface area from which "available P" can be extracted. AMF don't "mine" more P than roots do -- they just increase the area from which P can be found. They also report that AMF are ubiquitous in the soil and naturally form associations with more than 80% of all plants, Poaceae included.

Quote:
Whereas uninnoculated annual crops are not likely to have time to build the symbiosis with AMF and 'mine' the unavailable P
Research has found that most crops for this association on their own within hours after germination

Quote:
the reason I was curious about whether soil test would address ALL phos. in the soil is becuz turf grass potentially accesses ALL phos. in the soil...
Nothing can access ALL P in the soil. Remember, the soil test in only an index value. It's not a concrete number.

Quote:
This moves into new territory regarding the usefullness of ag. based soil test, so plz don't re-explain the current usage of soil test numbers... I'm challenging the concept of P being low for turfgrass just becuz the available P doesn't seem to be high enough for the lab technician running the test...
If I am missing something then perhaps I could be informed as to what EXACTLY I am missing,,, and perhaps it could be done in a manner of intelligent discourse ...
EXACTLY what you're missing is the very meaning of a soil test. It's not a concrete number and it has nothing to do with what a lab technician thinks. The test values and recommendations are backed up with decades of field research -- stuff that was actually done on lawns and research plots.

All the soil test does is find a way to assign a measurable value to a soil sample, correlate that value to plant activity, then calibrate fertilizer applications to the soil test value and to plant activity.

The absolute value of any soil nutrient is unneeded.

Page generated in 0.03406 seconds with 7 queries