View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

My mid life crisis lawn care business..New from Arkansas

So after a few years of doubt I've jumped the gun and started my own lawn care business ...mid season at that.

A little back history:
I'm 42 and had been a machinist up until 5 years ago when I was laid off as a shop supervisor. I had not held a job that worked outside of air condition in all those years. Anyways, one day I'm laid off, feeling bummed and drove by a local golf course that I had worked summers at when I was 16-18. I thought "what the heck, a job is better than unemployment". So I pull in the maintenance department to talk to the super at the EXACT SAME MOMENT the GM and another guy are firing the superintendent and several employees.
I stand there about ready to leave when finally the guy with the GM comes up and asks me if he can help me. I told him I was looking for a job and he said "good, I'm the new super and things are changing".

Long story short I ended up becoming his assistant and mechanic. Turns out he owned a landscaping and lawn care business out of TX as well as the golf course management company. So for the past 5 years I have wore many hats of being his mechanic in the winter, working on various golf courses and spending 2-3 months each season leading lawn care crews in TX. This January he decided that he is finally going back to TX and wouldn't be doing the one in Arkansas.

So here I am. I've got the equipment I need. The Zero turns are the biggest cost but I managed to get 2 used 40' ariens at a decent price. Maybe not the best out there and I'm sure I'll upgrade but they'll do for now.

I've not really concentrated on getting much work yet. Mainly been working on equipment, advertising and insurance. My goal is a couple of commercial accounts that I know pay between 10-15,000 per month. 60 stores across the state. I have a good chance of getting them thanks to an inside contact from the golf course.

So, I know how to cut grass but now I'm learning the business part of it and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions.

Page generated in 0.03709 seconds with 7 queries