View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
killthemusickillthemusickillthemusic...

My hope is that you weren't reading anything that recommended autoplay music, because it would call in to question the rest of the advice you picked up from it. Beside it being extremely intrusive, a large portion of your visitors are likely shopping for your services while on their employer's dime. Music firing up has a way of getting your tab closed on their browser as soon as it starts.

If I remember your old site correctly, you had a few sub pages and were trying to grow the content? It seems you've thrown the proverbial baby out with the bathwater to change your entire approach. While simple design can sell, I think you need to do a bit of reworking of your home page and adding a bit of page depth to a Services page, etc. Search engines like depth. You can rank a 1 page site, but you need to have a solid off and on site plan to do so. As it is, the new one page site of all black on white and black lines to separate, lacks any directional flow or visual engagement. I'm just not drawn in and, as a result, there is no sales process.

For example, take your "deal of the month". It looks no different than any other aspect of the site and is otherwise un-engaging. Sell me.

Back to the depth, there is a lot of keyword-rich content than can come from a "Complete Lawn Chemical Program" sub page. If you don't explain what that entails to me (your prospective customer), or Google, it's just a grouping of what could be any 4 words.

The Weather Plugin: People aren't checking your site for the weather so, to me, it always comes down to "fluff for fluff's sake". But, from a less subjective point of view, it makes me think your site's broken because my ad blocker treats it like an advertisement and all I see is a broken image error.

The new design does look good on my Kindle Fire, iPad, and Android phone, however none of them show me your slideshow. I'd find an alternative to Flash.

Code: Your tags look pretty good, however for as much text as you have on the page, it only accounts for 17% of the page weight. I would take your CSS to an external file, and that will significantly help. I'd also use CSS to do a better job of laying out your page elements. A couple of hundred      in a row is not how you want to space things out.

Overall, it's going to come down to how well this new page converts for you. How was the old site ranking and how is this one? How well is this going to actually convert vs the old? Atlanta is as tough a market as you can find, so is this new strategy going to do it for you?
Tony, I appreciate the positive criticism. The music has already been axed as I was going back and forth about it when designing the site. I now need to change my copyright message, omitting the composer. As far as cleaning up the code, that's where I have trouble. I am using Serif WebPlus X6, a WYSIWYG editor. This go-around, I focused on proper use of tag heiarchy (h1, h2, etc.). The last site came up when searched, but only for a very select few terms. This time, I at least come up in the search results for many more key words. The fact is, I am not a coder. Every time I go in to change something while viewing page source, I mess something up in the final result. Let me ask you a few questions now.....

1.) Although it would kill the whole "minimalist site" currently online, I had pondered making all services listed their own hyperlinks (recognized as anchor text) to their own pages (per your suggestion). Would this help, hurt, or be a wash?

2.)I had thought about writing a 10,000 word, keyword-rich laden essay on the grounds care/landscape industry, and placing it on my home page--but making the color of the text invisible so as not to disrupt the current design. What effects would this have?

3.) Why all the buzz in webmaster industry circles about how great single page designs are if what you said is true? I trust your knowledge on the subject, but these people are top pros. Not trying to argue, just an honest question. Thanks.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com

Page generated in 0.03573 seconds with 7 queries