We usually just use glysophate (active ingredient in round up). I will usually go and spray it once and then go back to spray a second time in three days. After another three days I'll go back and cut the stems with a pair of cheap pruners. Once they are dried out I pull it all out. I am severely allergic to poison ivy, I blister like most people do where the poison ivy oils get on my skin, but I will get the rash over a good 90-95% of my skin even when I only get the oils on a small portion of my leg. When ever I touch poison ivy I immediately clean the area and my hands with Technu, it removes the oils from your skin.
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!