View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone own or purchase a Redmax BCZ2650S, or a . . .

Or the 2460S, or both, or had either one repaired, or know anything helpful about either one, most especially the 2650.

I need a stringer trimmer that can take a brush blade and hedge trimmer attachment, to cut about 1k Sq ft of very thick tall grass and then some tall hedges. I like the Redmax BCZ2650S. Its $50 more than the BCZ2460S, but its got a 2cc bigger engine, and a solid steel drive shaft -- I figured that would be a better choice if I need to add a hedge trimmer attachment.

I got some information from this forum that there was some problem with the fuel pump on the maxtorque T models that were causing problems. So, I decided against any Redmax T models -- I wasnt too keen on them regardless (I agree with Alan0354, just get more HP). Then I was told there is a lousy fuel pump on all 25.4 cc engines and larger. So, that eliminated the 2650 model. The 2460S model is okay but the drive shaft is hollow steel, according to the Redmax 2013 catalog.

But once again, going by information gotten here by RidinGreen, he says that it is neither approved or recommended to use a hedge trimmer attachment on a hollow steel shaft model trimmer. I accept that, so, that pushes me back to a solid shaft model and calling dealers. One dealer tells me that no one buys the S models anymore since the T models came out. He said the S models burn up the engine or gears, that the T model has a bigger gear head than the S model. OMG, of course, what a coincidence, he doesnt stock any S models!

I noticed something odd after calling many Redmax dealers looking for a 2650, almost every other dealer would ask me why I picked the 2650 model, without saying so, but kind of implying that I should not have. But when I asked them in reply if they had the 2650 in stock, of course they did not stock it, but of course they had the 2460 model in stock. Only one dealer had it, but offered to sell it to me for "$10 less than the 2460" -- imagine that, ten dollars less. I didnt go for it, it's just too suspicious. He said he cant sell it. I wondered why that is? One dealer said he thinks they dont sell because of the high price, telling me that he rarely sells any trimmer for over $300 -- 300 being some price limit for most people.

That would explain it but I want to know if it is a lemon model and why.

Page generated in 0.04384 seconds with 7 queries