View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I'm always surprised by the negative attitude toward customers. I know, it's hot out and it's hard work and we're tired but I still don't get it. I actually like my customers. They're good people and friendly for the most part. I have a few PITAs but I don't let them get to me. If I didn't want their $ I'd have already parted ways.

And that's another thing. I'm amazed at how quickly some people want to get rid of clients who annoy them at all. I guess I could see it if you have too much business and need to get rid of some anyway, but that can't possibly be such a widespread problem. Granted, there are some people who just aren't worth the hassle but they're such a small number.

I know there are others here who enjoy going out most days to do the best job possible and will go out of their way to help others out. I just don't read much about that on here and I guess it surprises me.

I keep my roster around 45 customers so I'm not nearly the size of most of you. But I actually like it when one calls or comes out to tell me they're having people over on a certain day and want it to look good. I'm glad I can help them out. After all, that's why they hired me. And I like being a small part of their special day. And it's more $ too. Most of my clients live within 1/2 mile of me so I know them a little. I saw in Saturday's paper where the N's kid applied for a marriage license. So you know I'm dropping a note in their invoice at the end of the month telling them congratulations and to make sure and let me know when any festivities will be taking place and I'll make sure it looks good.
I agree in principle with everything you said. Bu for me it boils down to money, energy-saving snd peace of mind. I. am actually a very friendly and happy person but when an account, for whatever reason no longer works out I'm not afraid to write them a friendly letter that I can no longer continue service. Usually the reason I give them is not the real reason as I am, by nature, non-confrontational and I don't care to get into an argument with them or leave on bad terms. But in reality this is not something that is terribly common with me but I do tend to weed out the dead weight periodically. Streamlining my business is what helps keep my days as easy and profitable and time-saving as possible....also just as a sidebar, the older I get (I'm 45) the more and more I look for ways to make it physically-easier on myself. I've been doing this since high school and I've done it the hard way for many years. Now it's time for me to do it the easy way -- or at least the easier way. I still work 10-12 hour days but I'm not near as tired nowadays because my strategy of streamlining my work allows me to hire an extra person to take my place as a regular employee. So nowadays I make more money while physically working less. I also don't have to deal with toxic customers who are difficult to please anymore, as i purge them if the start expecting too much, complaining too much or are just plain illogical. My route is thus chalk full of cream puff accounts that are all profitable, easy to deal with and centrally-located. This should be everyone's goal, I think...and this can be accomplished while having good work ethic, good morals, good customer service, good integrity and a happy disposition.

Last edited by Tom-N-Texas; 07-16-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.03621 seconds with 7 queries