View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
After checking to make sure it has better than 100 psi compression and spark, the first order of business in fixing up most old saws involves replacing the fuel line, fuel filter and installing a carb kit. Between all the varnish and crud that accumulates in the fuel tank lines and filter, and the degradation in rubber/plastic parts caused by the ethanol in todays fuels (that the old saws weren't designed for), it is really false economy not to replace the fuel lines and filter. You may rebuild the carb and immediately have it go bad again by sucking up crud thru the old fuel lines. I know it is tempting to try the easy way and hope it runs OK, but it often costs you more trouble than doing it right the first time.
Might want to go over your buddy's place with a six pack and watch him work on the saw. Could learn a lot.
Thanks for the advice,

Spark is great it has the coil system rather than points and the on off switch works as it should.

I was planning on opening up the gas tank (its a two piece deal) to make a permatex gasket as it seeps gas out of the bottom so I'll do that then. I may pull that felt wick out and use a modern in tank filter it just depends on what I find.

It has pretty good compression and the piston and cylinder look to be in good shape with no scrapes or gouges. I don't have an exact number of the psi yet but as this saw was running the day before my grandpa bought his Husqvarna I'm not too worried. Worst case scenario I get a piston and ring kit on ebay for about $30 or so and have that shop put it in.

The carb kit should be here in about a week so I'll get back to it then.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper