View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thats really to bad. Not one actual pic of a lawn being mowed or any adjustments made on an adjustable baffle deck. I had a feeling this review was doomed from the first set of pics I saw...at least you got to feel the air seat and isolated platforms. As far as cut quality goes I saw nothing from either machine that was acceptable in a commercial cutting setting.
The conditions we are dealing with is fair to no mower, but what I'm saying is based on what I experienced in my cutting situation, and I ran both my older and new Super Z in the same conditions with by far much better results.

There may be a problem with the dial-a-height device on the Gravely mower, but once you got to about 3.25", it was almost impossible to move higher, therefore, I like the pin setup for changing cut heights better on the Super Z. I can change the height while looking to see what the number is on the Gravely.

I like the ride of both my Super Z mowers better, but if the hard run-flat tires on the Gravely were replaced with a different tire that adsorbed more shock, and there was flex forks installed on the Gravely it would probably be a pretty equal ride.

The 31 hp Kawasaki engine has plenty of power, but used a tremendous amount of fuel, which my 35 uses a great deal of fuel as well, but it does not seem nearly as noticeable for the fact I can cut much more grass per hr.

I prefer the operation of the Super Z mowers and their hydraulic feel, but the Gravely is fine, and this is only a matter of preference, everyone is different.

I much prefer the integrated brake system of the Super Z over the external hand brake of the Gravely. When I put my Hustler steering levers into their carry position everything is automatically locked in place, while knowing there will be absolutely no mower movement. This is not the case with the Gravely, put the steering levers into their carry position, and the mower may creep forward until you totally engage the handbrake, just an added movement I prefer not to deal with.

The deck lift system is pretty equal, but with the decks of both Super Z's lifting by far much easier.

I love the finish of the Gravely, as well as the ease of access to all components. I would call this a wash between both mowers.

Both my Super Z's operate more smoothly than the 472 Gravely, and I believe this has a great deal to do with the hydraulics and dampeners. There is a smoother feel of operation with the Hustler, whereas I noticed a little more jerky movement with the Gravely.

The air-ride seat is a great asset, but with flex forks, less rigid front tires, and the suspension seat on the Super Z it gave a better ride. As a matter of fact, my older SZ with the flex forks and flex seat rode and handled better to me due to the stiffer feel of the Gravely.

With no knowledge of either mower, and based totally on what I experienced in the operation of both mowers on my particular property, I would tell the dealer to leave the Super Z and pick up the Gravely.

I don't believe I'm the only one that feels this way and think this can be seen from my dealer selling around 300 Hustlers, and around 60 Gravely mowers this year. This is not a matter of one mower being pushed over another, it's just for the fact after a person operates and cuts with both machines, they choose the Hustler over the Gravely for cutting in our area. Bobcat does well in our area also, and is in close sales pursuit to the Hustler due to their pricing structure.

I forgot to mention this, the Gravely rep was talking with his people and they were telling him about the baffle, he said listen, that is just something else an owner does not necessarily want to fool with, and I can't use this as an arguing point when he put a Hustler Super Z beside the Gravely and it did not clump.

Last edited by puppypaws; 07-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.04415 seconds with 7 queries