Okay time for a little update: The carb rebuild went good. Like I said the fuel pump diaphragm (the one on the top part of the carb) was stiff and stuck to the gasket and the metering diaphragm was about as pliable as the sheet of copy paper I set it on when I took it off. I replaced the metering pin and the little lever thing that goes from the diaphragm to the metering pin. Got it all buttoned up and started pulling on it. About ten pulls later....... it kind of popped once and raw gas started dripping out of the exhaust and when I pulled the engine to where the piston was at the bottom of its stroke the cylinder was soaking wet. At least most of the carbon looks to have been cleaned out.
So now I went from having no gas to having way to much. But at least I know it's getting fuel. But I think I just need to open the carb back up and adjust that metering lever down to decrease the fuel flow. Plus I need to do that nail polish thing, it started to rain all of a sudden and it was a bit of a scramble to the get the saw together, my tools back in my tool box, and everything from the back patio to the garage.
It was also blowing fuel about a foot and a half out of the exhaust.
Note you should wait for a while for the fumes from inside the cylinder to dissipate before listening to your dad's suggestion of pulling the spark plug and checking the spark.
So I think if I get it adjusted right it should be a runner. If not I can trade doing some deck plans for the guy at the small engine shop for some work. I also have some store credit from the equipment rental side of their business to use if need be.
It's not the equipment that makes a professional, it's the operator.
'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper
"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"