View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
On the GM tranny thing I don't know a chevy in the late 90's to mid 2000's who hasn't had tranny issues. Its alway at the 130k mark it seems. Also rear ends are an issue too, same with dodge. Dodge motors are darn near bullet proof except for intake manifold leaks. I just did mine at 200k. Also never had a tranny issue and I have 60k of trailer hauling milage. I will say my 5.2 has some gonads. But 10mpg pulling a trailer and 14 hyway.

Our 98 K2500 is all original and it has towed its entire life and plowed in the winters. Trans fluid is still original. The 4L80E in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is FAR superior to any trans anybody has ever used other than the allison (yet again a trans GM uses on the diesel trucks).

The 4L60E is hit or miss. Some people have decent luck with them and others dont. The 6L80E in the newer 1/2 ton trucks are much better than the 4L60E and the gear spread is perfect. 1st gear is granny gear and is not used unless you select the tow haul mode.

I would never own anything other than a GM truck. We went down the ford path and got burned on every single ford truck we ever had. The gm trucks have been very reliable and had more power than any of the ford trucks we have owned (5.0, 5.8, 4.9 I6, 4.6 and a 5.4). Out of those engines the 4.9 I6 was far superior when it came to towing. They were slow as molasses but due to the huge bore and long stroke they were torque monsters. The F-1shitty we had with the 4.9 only had 3.08 gears and it towed our landscape trailer and our car trailer with a car on it like it was nothing even going up over mountains. All the rest struggled very badly. The E-250 was the best one out of the bunch. It had the 4.9 and 4.10 gears. But the engine sludged up and lost oil pressure at 60,000 miles so we replaced the engine. That was the only issue that van gave us (and that was a huge issues obviously). All the others had engine issues along with many other issues such as brake failures, trans problems, electrical problems etc etc etc.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Page generated in 0.03404 seconds with 7 queries