View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
Have you noticed braking issues with your Silverado and larger wheels?.
My truck has the "handling package". It's a torsion bar truck, which rides like crap, even compared to the 4X4 models. They're definitely not the same spring rate. That package, also, came with 20" wheels, oversize brakes (12+" rotors), and PBR calipers. From 20" to 22", I noticed no difference. Either wheelset is heavy. I had the first rotors warped, within 10K miles, and I'm a very easy driver. However, my first 12' trailer had no brakes. And, that's a big deal.

Quote:
Do you have trailer brakes?
This time, yes. I knew from my first trailer, that I wanted them, this time around. I have the Tekonsha Primus controller. It's the most user-friendly of all their controllers, as it doesn't need to be level or have a bunch of setup needs. Having the towing package made hookup easy. I'll never own another trailer without brakes.

Quote:
@
I've got an '04 Avalanche w/20" wheels (personal truck) and even without pulling a trailer I can tell a big difference in braking between the factory 16" and the 20"s. I have ended up putting slotted rotors on the truck and it makes a difference, I've thought about upgrading the calipers, but the truck is almost 10 years old and 125k.
The Silverado/Avalanche/Tahoe/Suburban from this era is notorious for having woefully undersized rotors (~11"). I've seen so many report warped rotors in under 5K miles. Chevrolet should be ashamed of what they did. Heck, they quit putting discs on the rear of these trucks. That's a definite step backward. They're more interested in profit than product performance. This is my first and last Chevrolet.

I was, recently, detailing an '08 Ram. That truck is so overbuilt, compared to my Silverado, it was alarming. The frame, axle, and brakes are considerably heavier. I had the wheels off of it, pressure washing the entire undercarriage, so I had plenty of time to look around. I'm not looking to buy a new truck, but, seeing this one has caused me to consider a Dodge, if/when the time comes.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer