View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Amann View Post
Our experience with Ultimateflora on sandy soils in central Florida has been awful.
In the four years we have been watching it, it never develops a thick vertical root system. In full sun it constantly exhibits drought stress.
I am seeing where sod companies sold a customer "Empire". When in fact the growth habits even as long as 4 years later make me think it is "Ultimateflora". In the Villages I have seen them side by side and there is a distinced difference.
We treat both Empire lawns and Ultimateflora. We have Empire that is cut at about 3/4 of an inch and all the clippings are removed. It looks like a golf green. Three houses down the street we have one that is cut at about 3 inches and it is fluffy but beautiful.
We warn the people when we pickup a yard that we feel is Ultimateflora. It is usually someone who has resodded in the last 4 years and has already tried at least 2 other companies.
We are starting to see Jamur show up here. I like the color the best of all the local zoysias. It is more of a blue/green. So far, drought resistence and spring green up look good on it.
Wow, man! Thats some good info. Maybe this why I hate "Empire." You just described most of them I mow. 6" of rainfall over a few days and it looks good. Dries out for two and is all stressed out. I call it crackhead grass. If it doesn't get it's daily fix it flips out.

Page generated in 0.04057 seconds with 7 queries