View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm mostly a 1 man show, but I have a buddy that helps me on bigger jobs or when I'm tired. I do maintenance only, but am in the process of getting my applicator's license. I only say that to show that I'm a little fish. I often get asked about patios, retention walls, irrigation, landscape installs etc. I don't touch the stuff. I wouldn't know where to start. I have 2 companies that I refer to customers for this work. They are both phenomenal companies that do very good work, and most importantly, stand behind it. We have a gentlemen's agreement that they will never try to muscle in on my maintenance contracts, and I won't bid theirs (not that they're worried).
This is a very productive relationship for all 3 of us. They get the landscaping jobs that pay good $ and sometimes they'll throw me a smaller job (clean up hedge work etc.) Plus one of them has been kind enough to teach me a lot about turf management and how to bid jobs accurately and fairly.

I agree that there is no need to be a to the competition, as the pie is big enough to go around. If your price is competitive and your work is the best it can be, your good clients won't be too interested in leaving you. As for the ones who might... well they're usually the ones you kinda wish you didn't have to deal with in the 1st place.
RedMax BCZ2460
Echo PB 755T
RedMax SRTA hedge trimmer
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer
3 semesters away from B.S. in Business Admin. (Economics & finance)
I'll probably be just an over-educated lawn guy. I love this stuff!

Page generated in 0.04462 seconds with 7 queries