This field is on heavy soil and has had no fertilizer or chemicals in 7-8 years. It has a good irrigation system and a good long term employee who mows and paints lines well. As a first step I sprayed for grubs 7/31 to buy some insurance for the two-year plan for its care and renovation about to be undertaken.
It looked pretty rough. Crabgrass and clover were the two worst weeds.
August 8 I fertilized with 200# 30-0-10, 3%Fe plus 75# urea based on relatively cool weather we had that week. August 17 (Saturday, to work around two-a-day practices) I sprayed for weeds (Onetime/BASF). I will be fertilizing two more times and spot seeding high traffic areas twice during the "away" part of the varsity schedule.
Between Sunday and today (Wednesday) I scratched the field aggressively, overseeded, topdressed with 24 yards of compost, and dragged. The school's man, once I was out of his way, mowed and painted lines for a 4:30 freshman game today. Thankfully the weather cooperated - other than being hot. Some photos of the process are below.
This is a big rake I had made. A friend converted an old row cultivator I had. I scratched the field in two directions with it. It had not been leveled on the tractor yet when I took this picture.
Here's one showing what kind of penetration I can get with the rake. The tractor was not moving here, obviously. It is a little more impressive when it is being pulled forward.
Seed and spreaders:
(more photos - continued in next post)