View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
There will be no 100% security against the right conditions. Fierce winds do spread the fire, but the rooftop sprinklers can be one point of prevention. Also having a defensible space with trees 20' away from the home is one recommendation. But when you live in the forest like I do, cutting so many trees down just sucks. A non-combustible shingle is another. But we read that embers were flying into some of the attic and soffit vents catching the homes on fire. Every piece of prevention is just that - one piece. Do 2, 3, 4 pieces and you have a pretty good system of prevention.
The Clover fire will be 100% contained Sunday. 68 homes, 80 outbuildings, 8,000 plus acres and 1 life at this point.

A hunting buddy of my son has a home in one of the canyons that were burned over.

Billy has been proactive in preparing his 20 acres for such an event.

1) he has sheep to mow down the non irrigated areas.

2) he has thinned or removed all brush on his land.

3) the areas near his home and outbuildings are irrigated.

4) his pump is backed up with a gen set for fire.

5) hydrants are in place to defend critical areas.

Billy's home was the only home standing in a community of 32 due to his hard work and planning.

He also said that he had no real warning, the heat was intense and that he was scared to be trapped in the canyon but glad he was home.

Billy is the same guy that got mauled by a bear a few years back. He has some great stories to pass on.

Our buddy John was working the fire Dana, he told me that most of the homes were lost because of a lack of defenseable space.
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03604 seconds with 7 queries