Thread: Legit vs Non
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
Customers don't care. I tell people I have insurance and they look at me like I think they don't carry a homeowners policy. License?? - for what, James Bond? To cut grass, hahaha.
So I bid a yard - time and OVERHEAD included - 50 dollars per visit.

Next bidder (not legit) - time and NO (business) OVERHEAD included - 30 per visit.

Does the customer really care that I pay a business tax to help support the health insurance and retirement packages of the local government workers?? Or does the customer want to keep 20 dollars in their pocket every week for 30 weeks -- 20 times 30 equals 600 - and, insurance, the customer probably thinks that nothing will happen and if it does their homeowners will pay for it - and if they think like me they figure the county gov workers don't do anything (except vote) for their cadillac health plans - so screw 'em!

Who gets the job?? Me or Juan from Goobenzuela?

I guess he did.

Who is supposed to protect my business interests from the low ballers and amigos?? Am I supposed to do it? Do I roll up and demand to see their license? Do I ask for proof of insurance? The customers never do. No one has ever asked me if I have insurance. Ever. No one has ever, once asked me if I am licensed. Not once. They really do not care. All they care is about is the same that I care about - How much does it cost??? The bottom line.

Our local Mayor wanted to get re-elected so he hired a ($35,000) firm to see if having a health plan was a good idea. Turns out it sounded like a great idea - only problem was it could not be implemented until after the election - wonder how the local town workers (and family members) voted??

Mayor Butthead gets re-elected and now WE have budget issues - and guess what?? our little portion of the county (already have a license to work in county) now requires its own license - oh, good another fee for me - the worker - and free healthcare for the slugs that sit in the air conditioning - its a win, win. To stay legit my fee has to increase - but the non-legit just keeps on plugging away, as busy as ever - maybe even more so.

If you are gonna do commercial, then by all means, get all the forms, fees, licenses and insurances you can afford.
But if you are just doing a mow blow and go on rez accnts, you might want to consider options. Ask Bubba Mowerson with the HD Cub Cadet, and the handheld blower (80 CFM) or Juan Valdez with the 1994 Exmark (5000 hrs, original blades) what his business plan is??? Or maybe ask the tween with a push mower tied behind his bike what he thinks about the new law??? It might give you some basic pricing/quoting insight that you never considered.

So what do YOU get for being legit???
I agree with your stance on taxes and government workers but we live in the same part of town and I don't have a problem selling my business over these other guys. I present my business as able to provide better than average service at a fair price. I also tell everyone that we are very booked but will try to work them in ASAP, this lets them know that I ain't hurting for their job. Normally we meet as a referral so the question of quality is out now we are just talking about scoop of services when I get there. I also don't budge on price and have walked away from projects only to be called back a few days later with "you're higher priced but we have 2 different people recommend you, will you do the job?"

Page generated in 0.03167 seconds with 7 queries