View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

The first time was just practice

Well, as mentioned in the title, this is my second time running a lawn service. The first one failed as a result of a divorce and poor planning. I'm actually still in the planning phase. The logo you see in my profile is my logo form the first time around. Some guys don't take planning very seriously. My friends, I learned the first time that failure to plan can be very expensive. For example, when I started cutting lawns the first time, I started with what I had in the garage, homeowner grade equipment. As my business picked up, my small equipment could not handle the additional workload. As a result, I experienced a lot of breakdowns which resulted in downtime, which resulted in unexpected expenses and loss of revenue. Not to mention the embarrassment of having to explain to your customers that you could not service their property because of broken equipment.

So, this time, I am purchasing commercial grade equipment as I get the money to pay for it. Seems unheard of, I know. But, i have a full time job that helps pay the bills for now. The way I see it, grass and flowers are not going anywhere anytime soon. As long as there's sunlight and rain, there will be vegetation. I'm not going to break the bank just because I have an itch to start landscaping again... lol. And on that equipment list is an ENCLOSED trailer!!! Quality equipment isn't cheap and neither should it's method of transport be. Of course, that's just my opinion. Besides, you get the added benefit of a rolling billboard. And, from my past experience, some of these HOA's are very picky about what's on their property! Also from my past experience, I do not plan on targeting any HOA's as customers... lol

Well, in a nutshell, easy does it is my approach this time. I very much enjoy working outdoors (rain or shine) and love watching things grow.... thanks mom (my mother was an avid gardener and as a kid, I can remember people from the local community coming out and taking pictures of the landscape) So, why not get paid for it, right? I'm also planning on taking some college courses this time around. Hopefully, it will all lead to a degree in horticulture.

I also enjoy this forum. There are a lot of veteran landscape professionals on here. I enjoy reading the posts, lots and lots of wisdom to tap into. So guys and gals, keep up the good work and thanks for all the info.

Page generated in 0.04089 seconds with 7 queries