Thread: Dealers!
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb01 View Post
he will let the dealer he has always dealt with know he will be trading in a few weeks and more often than not, they will have it resold before he even brings it in, his mowers normally never make it to the floor.
This is a good practice. If the dealer knows the equipment and knows it's coming in, he can speculate/forecast potential customers. I used to do the same thing, in the motorcycle business. Many times, I'd have an ATV sold before it ever came in. I could do that, because I knew the machine and its owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
Most commercial equipment has been beat to pieces by the the time it is traded. No way for a dealer to try to fix all that is wrong and make a profit. Plus. if he sells the used stuff to a good customer and it turns out to be a lemon it's his good name on the line. One of my local dealers will trade if it's a low hour piece and it checks out OK. Even those he will not offer top dollar on.
You are 100% correct.

I'm appalled by how some of the LCOs care for their equipment. There's no way a dealer would even take a chance on their stuff. Conversely, my dealer tells me "anytime you want to trade, let me know". It's not because I'm not happy with my stuff and shopping, it's because he can always flip nice, used equipment. He's a small dealer and nice, used stuff is likely gone in a week, because he keeps in mind prospective customers.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer