View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced View Post
That is very interesting that your older mower was rebuilt. What if any failures caused this and how much does it cost to rebuild one completely as you have done. Both machines look very impressive by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device

I normally would never do this, but for the fact my wife loves the mower and I needed to do a little additional work for tax purposes, and because I have a first class mechanic, I put everything in the mower new.

There is another reason also that brought this about. I had a pump failure, and from information gathered, the old style pumps and wheel motors on the Super Z were good to around 1200 hrs. This is not to say some have not gone longer, but some less, and this is according to a close friend that was my dealer at one time.

I decided to replace both pumps and wheel motors, and while the mechanic had the mower I told him to perform a leak down test on the engine, which honestly turned out good, but with a slight variance. When he told me the results, I asked him to physically examine the #1 cylinder that was slightly different. I was glad I did, there was considerable wear in that cylinder, but not enough to cause a failure at that point in time, but I knew it may not be long, most people would probably still be running the same engine, even for the fact they were adding more oil than would be normal consumption.

I found a new Kohler 28 efi in the box and had it shipped to me at a cost of $1210.00, the cheapest I found the engine anywhere else was $2800.00. The engines were to be used by Great Dane, but when they went out of business they no longer needed this engine so Small Engine Warehouse bought the stock. They had 34 left when I purchased mine, how many they bought originally I have no idea, but they must have really gotten a very good deal.

I decided to have everything done at one time, I also got a new Michigan (Milsco) suspension seat at no cost due to weld failures, meaning I bought the engine at much less than half price and got the new seat at no cost. This kept the cost much lower than would have been normal and the best I can remember I spent something over 4k.

I have not regretted the total rebuild for one minute, there has been zero problems other than replacing one fuse holder.

Page generated in 0.05039 seconds with 7 queries