View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
... If I may add, how is a coated synthetic fert going to last all winter in snowbound areas? We frequently get some freeze/thaws in the winter. If that fert is underneath 6" of snow, it is at or slightly above 32 degrees in there. Probably a bit warmer on those freak warm winter days of 40+. Nitrogen has to be leaching downward a lot of that time. And if the plants aren't using it, bingo, wasted. Any thoughts?

This is not to mention the melt off we get in March, the N waste during that time has to be tremendous.
I start Spring cleanup with a blower as soon as the surface gets warm enough during the day to unfreeze the leaves frozen to the grass... I found the prills from the previous season still intact lying amongst the grasses... it took about 2 or 3 rains before they were gone...
So mypoint would be,,, What difference is there if I put those prills down as soon as the snow was gone or if I put those prills down in Oct??? Isn't the end result N on the surface ,,, causing more root growth there,instead of roots growing down looking for water???

In my experience, slow release N that lasts till Spring is no different than an application of N as soon as the snow is gone... I don't care if it is organic N or synthetic N,,, Spring N is NOT a good thing for cool season grasses... even the extension offices are finally coming around to that conclusion... Once they learned to Ask the Right Question,they've been a benefit to healthier turf...

Page generated in 0.03535 seconds with 7 queries