View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Is that why we wanted valves in these things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Jeff,
I've read a few of your posts on here and I respect your efforts to help others, so this certainly isn't a criticism of you personally.
But, I'm not a fan of the 4-mix machines. I bought an FS 90 a couple of years ago and almost immediately regretted it. Not only is it fairly expensive to purchase, but, for my purposes, it is heavy, cumbersome and overly complicated.

Just so I understand this correctly... As well as others that come to gain information here...

The machine runs fine, but it was expensive to purchase, it's heavy/cumbersome and overly complicated?

Well, I'll assume that you have an FS90R which would have retailed between roughly 269.95 - 299.95 (ish) 2 years ago?

Even if your "purposes" have changed in the 2 years since you purchased the unit, the unit is NO more heavy or complicated then it was the day you purchased it?

The Husky 223L I replaced it with is far lighter, better balanced and easier to use and maintain.

Ok, so the Husqvarna 223L is lighter, I get that... Better balanced, I get that... What I don't understand is how the Husqvarna 223L is easier to "use and maintain"?

I guess my comment was intended to mean putting valves in a trimmer just makes them heavier, more complicated and more expensive to maintain. EPA or not, the competition is getting by without the valves.

I agree 100% with you that adding valves, valve train and cylinder modifications have made the unit heavier... Fact is, it added about 8 oz. to the overall engine weight!

As far as being more complicated? I guess that would be true if one didn't understand engines to begin with. From my view as a tech, there is very little difference between them!

How exactly is a 4-Mix more expensive to maintain than a 2-stroke?

You said the competition is getting by without valves? Not true! You do know that Husqvarna as well as other OEM's make 4-stroke units right?

Again, I respect your opinion and helpful post, I'm just not much for the 4 mix machines.
dboyd351,

I mean no disrespect to you by "picking" on your comment, so please don't take it wrong. I like to think it is more of a help to others to explain or backup comments and statements that one makes. Too many threads in my opinion go south and some pretty quick with mis-information, drive-by comments and just plain getting off topic in general.

Secondly, to compare the Stihl FS90 4-Mix to the Husqvarna 223L 2-Stroke is like comparing apples to balloons... Not much in common between them except that they are both trimmers. I mean an F-350 and a Ranger are both trucks too.

Thank you for your time and perhaps one day I may be able to help you!

Jeff

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!

Page generated in 0.03870 seconds with 7 queries