View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
I cannot speak for other regions of the USA but the 4-Mess engine has not been a hit with commercial users in our neck of the woods. Here in just our small town we have three 2nd generation equipment dealers that have sold Stihl for years. All three say they'll sell a ton of saws but try to steer commercial users away from the 4-Mess engines.
I suspect Stihl would not be spending the time and money to bring the FS94 2-stroke to the market if the 4-Mess was an overwhelming success. Ditto for Shindiawa's version of 4-Mess. When I purchased my Stihl 4-Mess trimmer the dealer tried to nudge me away from them but my previous 2-stroke Stihl ran great for over ten years so I purchased based on that previous experience.
The 4-Mess was Stihl's marketing attempt to please the tree-huggers. They knew they could meet all EPA regulations with 2-strokes just like RedMax, Shindiawa, Tanaka, were already doing but they gambled that they would be able to lead in a new engine design that would take the power equipment world by storm. I think the design of the 4-Mess is sound but to make it reliable would require a much higher level of quality components and materials which would have driven the cost way up. Add to that commercial users who were used to just keeping a good gas/oil mix in their 2-strokes and nothing else was needed for the useful life of the machine.
I eagerly await the release of the FS94. I e-mailed Stihl to find out the release date but they have not as of yet responded.
Perhaps you suspected wrong!

Fact is, the 4-Mix HAS been an overwhelming success! Why do other OEM's have 4-stroke versions if they were not successful?

I'm not sure where you get your information from, but I would strongly urge you to do some research before making those bold statements... Perhaps you might then understand how companies like Stihl and others are able to comply with EPA Regulations on the "cleaner" 4-stroke units they produce and earn "credits" on their sales. The OEM's can then use the "credits" to produce units that are not as clean such as the 2-strokes even though they need to meet the minimum EPA Regulations.
This is exactly the case with the Stihl FS94! Stihl used "credits" gained from the sales of the 4-Mix units to produce the 2-stroke FS94!

Perhaps Stihl has seen your post here and didn't feel they needed to respond to your email?

FYI, I ran the FS94 Thursday and it is a throwback to the FS80, FS85 and looks very close at first glance to that era of engines! But when you open the hood, it is night and day! It is light weight and fairly peppy!

They are due to be released and in dealers in November...

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!

Page generated in 0.04561 seconds with 7 queries