View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
Can you please send some of these guy my way. I seriously don't know where they are. The only ones I see around work at the Mexican restaurant or work for a few farmers that get paid cash and lots don't have licenses.
Where then there you go!

When you see these guys at the restaurant or the few farmers - then STOP and tell them you do "LANDSCAPING" and that you are looking for 1 to 2 guys. Give them you phone number and write "landscaping" on the paper. They will then have their cousins, brothers, uncles, or dads call you.

Now, when you stop and chat with these guys - they most likely will speak little English. But they will understand the word "landscaping".

And correct, they usually do not drive. Even my workers. You'll have to make changes to how you do things. It's going to be a major change to you, and you're going to be learning new things. You will need the right attitude to make it a success. You may have to pick them up and drop them off. I usually try to employ at least one guy with a car and license, and he is how they get to work.

You will not get away with paying latinos less than Americans. That will back fire in your face. And you will need to keep them busy 40 hrs per week, year round. You keep these guys busy - you will have the best workers. If work slows down and they are not making money - they will leave you and they will do so without notice. They won't be mad, that's just their culture, they were not raised on the two week notice gig as us americans were. But they will arrive on time and they will work the entire day. For me, the less English they speak - the better. As the more English they speak - the more American bad habits they've picked up.

I hired my first latino in 1997. I went to an apartment community and put up flyers that read "Landscape workers wanted" with the phone number". Yeah, the apt management wasn't happy about my flyers, but who cares, I got my workers.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Page generated in 0.03364 seconds with 7 queries