Thread: Global Warming
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wouldn't the Lakes not freezing over(or not as long or as much) have something to do with increased snow falls for Grand Rapids? Really doesn't have to be all that cold to snow
That can factor into it, but the one year water temps were in the 70's and even 80's we were supposed to be pounded by lake effect. And weren't. I don't remember exact details, but there have been several of those years where water temps were "abnormally warm" going into Dec and it didn't make any difference.

Because we need Arctic air to create lake effect.

Mid to late 80's and well into the 90's when we had crappy winters and infrequent snow cover--2-3 weeks here and there--there was no more or no less ice coverage on the lakes.

Late 70's when we had extremely cold and hard winters, there was a ton of ice, IIRC that was when the lakes did or almost completely froze over.

It's just like El Nino and La Nina. The last 2-3 years have been opposite of what is supposed to happen during those "phenomena". ANd they haven't been able to predict overall conditions based on which is present, either.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office

Page generated in 0.04546 seconds with 7 queries