View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
that's absolutely cool. I don't how I'd like working with inches to spare at 30 mph but I imagine it's a rush or a pucker moment. Impressive tunnel.
It was pretty wild, probably one of the most intense "operating" situations I've ever been in. Just like anything else, you get it figured out eventually and it's not too bad. When the invert pours first started, they weren't running in very far to pour, so the runs got longer as they worked toward the halfway point. This gave the guys enough time to learn the truck and ease into going fast. I got thrown to the wolves, I was filling in for a guy and we were just about halfway, or 1 mile, into the tunnel and we needed to run wide open for 10-12 hours a day. Once we reached about halfway, we put 2 trucks at the other portal and poured from that end of the job so the longest runs were about 1 mile in, 1 mile out. Going in reverse was all about watching 1 mirror, we would use sightlines off the truck to line up on the pipe running along the tunnel. Needless to say, it was crazy but some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen was on that job.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Page generated in 0.03857 seconds with 7 queries