View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I understand many folks just don't get it, when asking me to "cut it shorter" is like asking a Nascar driver to go "slower."
And don't say that to a customer, they'll disagree and say "no, we're saying go faster, faster"
Telling you, it's a lost cause.

But I have to admit, it did not occur to me the other day when some lady requested I cut hers at 2" that I should have just told her it would be $60 (for a lawn I'd normally do for $30) due to the fact that I have to remove the blades so as to reset the spacers, remove the rear wheels to reset that height, and reset both front casters, that entire process has to be done twice (once to lower, and then again to bring it back up)... We're looking at a good hour's labor there, come to think of it maybe I should have said $90...

It's not as simple as dial-a-height, but even if it were, I risk damaging the blades and other parts of the mower AND I risk taking out certain pieces of yard ornaments such as water meter covers and sprinklers that set high and who the F knows what, either way the blades will need to be sharpened.
It costs $5 a blade at the dealership, there are 3 blades on the machine.

As for the icing on the cake it has been my experience, the customers:
a) Don't want to pay more than the usual rate / certainly are not willing to pay double their usual.
b) Are going to have the same or similar reaction to my price quote vs. had I just walked away (which I did).
c) Generally speaking, regardless of reason, folks who INSIST I cut it at ANY height "shorter" / "lower" than whatever I have my mower set to, generally have a far from perfect lawn.
d) Think of me as a lawn BOY, not all of them do but the upper echelons have that tendency.

Those have been my observations.

There's more:
Come fall there's that "cut it shorter" so we can aerate / seed...
But you know what, it doesn't make a difference, you can cut it at the same height or you can cut it shorter and either way it turns out the SAME come spring.

And that is why, when a customer says "cut it shorter" to me, I'm half out the door.
Not quite, I cut some customers a bit of slack in that sense, but I do get tired of hearing it.

Last edited by herler; 10-05-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.03729 seconds with 7 queries