View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
My guy is top shelf so no worries on the feeding. Going to take a little time to get it as smooth as we want for a proper mowing. I think 2" is as low as I can ever get it. Too many century old oaks that I can only get so close. Despite the trees they are well trimmed do let plenty of sun penetrate the canopy. Just using the reel and reduced width greatly improved the cut appearence. No rotary will ever give it the cut these folks wanted. I really felt the pressure when they were grilling me. They spent a fortune on their yards and want them to look it. Best part is this is Tampa's old money area. The Island was literally built for the 1% crowd. I hope to become THE full service provider of that area. I looked around for a greensmaster and I might have to bite the bullet, but not until I get way more accounts. I like my McLane but I'm afraid its not going to hold its accuracy with constant use. I've got the basic regimen down but I dont call myself an expert at setting them up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most lawn services in Hawaii have at least a McLane. There is not much to go wrong with a McLane. Just be sure that the blades on the reel always have a relief angle on the trailing edge of the blades and that the reel is set for light contact. Do not let any one grind off all the relief and set the mower for no contact. it will work for the first time you use the mower, thereafter it will shred the tips of the zoysia. That method of sharpening and adjustment is only for bent grass golf greens with the need to regrind those blades very often. I maintain my reels by keeping the relief angle, face grinding the bedknife, and backlapping with 180 grit compound every 2 weeks. The Toro makes it super easy to backlap. I simply stick a 1/2" square drive into a socket on the reel pulley. That drive is turned with a heavy duty drill in reverse.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738

Page generated in 0.03857 seconds with 7 queries