View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Yes, go with the broadleaf weed control. Three-way might be a bit more gentle on the new grass. In my tests it was OK on perennial rye after it attained a height of 3 inches.
Exactly what kind of seed was used? Something suited to you conditions and climate, perhaps. Not too much rye, I hope? Are you in tall fescue country? More suited to Bermuda? Near or after first frost is still OK. There is a high chance of many weed seeds in the soil--normal for weeds to happen after soil tillage and water is applied.
Quicksilver can be applied 7 days after emergence for most grasses; tall fescue may have slight yellowing.

What kind of weedy grass? Annual or perennial? What are your temperatures? Soil temps?

Henbit is a winter annual. If you can't spray it now, it will die in spring after a couple mowings. Oxalis can be either annual or perennial.

Heavy seed will not solve a shade problem. If it was thin due to shade--it will happen again--unless the shade problem is addressed. Reduce the shade...or...plant a shade tolerant ground cover.
Ok, you think the speedzone would injure the new grass? The label says after the 2nd mowing on newly seeded areas. Just didn't want to spend more money for 3 way because I don't have any but I do have speedzone.

Quote:
Exactly what kind of seed was used?
The seed used for the new lawn install was a blue tag tall fescue mix specific for my area. The 3 varieties are not even named because its new out of VA Tech. Just has a generic numbering like AST 7000. It's very nice looking.

Quote:
There is a high chance of many weed seeds in the soil--normal for weeds to happen after soil tillage and water is applied.
Glad you said that because I thought I did something wrong. Sprayed entire area before tilling and used the best seed I could find. Just par for the course I guess (weed seed already in soil).

Quote:
What kind of weedy grass? Annual or perennial? What are your temperatures? Soil temps?
I'm not sure what it is. Just saw some little sprigs coming up. Not bermuda though, they were short and fat. maybe I can get some pics when I go back there. Temps have been in the mid 70's during the day and upper 50's to low 60's at night. Not sure of soil temos. It hasn't been cool here yet by any means though.

As far as lawn #2 from my original post......
Quote:
Heavy seed will not solve a shade problem. If it was thin due to shade--it will happen again--unless the shade problem is addressed. Reduce the shade...or...plant a shade tolerant ground cover.
It's not a shade "problem" it's just that the lawn area doen't get enough sun to get the tall fescue mix I put down last year to thrive. So I got a tall fescue mix made for shady areas. 44.68% Silverlawn Creeping red fescue, 24.70% Frazer chewings fescue, 19.70% AST 5112 Tall Fescue, 09.83% Kenblue Kentucky Bluegrass.

Page generated in 0.03804 seconds with 7 queries