View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The 2nd paragraph of this pdf, is claiming that longer grass during the heat of summer requires more water because the roots are done growing for the Summer... and that can be true in certain cultural practices, especially irrigated lawns...

The one thing that one might consider is lawns w/out irrigation, will take water from the leaf and move it into the crown for the sake of survival...

I like to cut the turf low the first time in the Spring to allow the sun into base of the plant and warm the soil... then I go to the height I like for the particular lawn, (2.5 - 3.5 inches)... When the grass looses color, I know the next step is the leaves will curl and ultimately shrivel down,,, so I stop mowing...

Well, depending on how that stretch of weather goes it might grow a little bit after a shower and some cloudy days and will need to be groomed a little bit... THAT is the time that I mow higher than normal, so as to not remove any more leaf than necessary to make it look good...
If it wasn't for the need to look good I would not mow it at all, until it came back to life for real...

Page generated in 0.03831 seconds with 7 queries