View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Going to keep as many accounts up around 3.0"+ as I can. My grass stayed fairly green right into December last year. The only time I ever collect clippings is that first low mow down to 2.25" - 2.5" in March during dryier weather range if the turf has been kept on the long side over the winter. This stimulates the crowns and removes the dry dormant turf and the green up is dramatic. I have pics somewhere along with power-raking test strips.

My premise is the turf needs some stimulation and IF the grass has already been put to bed and mowed down to 2" +/- 0.5" there is NOT as much material to remove. More dry dead dormant grass to get pulled up with high lift blades or better yet G5/G6 gators....all that much better.

And if the turf is green and vibrant right up till the hard freeze And has more leaf area...the more nutrients and goodies gets to the roots and total plant health.

Seriously it was much easier to just fix airplanes. Nobody wants to fly in busted aircraft. Not much debate there.

Not sure if there another business where there is As much disinformation and mass confusion as in lawn care.
Posted via Mobile Device
My lawns are back to their winter heights again now too... some are actually long enough to mulch mow back to the point they are standing straight up... the past couple of weeks have given us more rapid growth becuz of so much rain/dew/fog that mowing becomes necessary after the removal of the bulk of pine needles and such...

I never bag the first mowing of the year, becuz there are no clients here that early in the season... I mulch mow low(not scalp) for 2 reasons... First to get the sun busy, warming the soil and secondly to get a fresh supply of ground cover that will also warm, soak up moisture and feed the microbes that will begin building soil structure ASAP...

As the soil warms and the roots wake up they began growing deep and wide to get as much moisture and nutrient as they possibly can before they run out of reserves of winter storage carbs... the grass is perfectly fine with everything there is in the thawing soil,,, which is why I never think about fertilizing until after the second mowing or so...

The reason there tends to be so much confusion about grass care because the fert salesmen have build up a multitude of false notions which people believe "Benefits" the grass... learning the life-cycle of the grass leads one to understand that "Quick Spring Greenup" is absolutely unhealthy for the grass... even the Extension Offices that STILL acknowledge 'verti-cutting/dethatching won't acknowledge it for Springtime...

Page generated in 0.03153 seconds with 7 queries