View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I'm sure that Oct 10th date is not a hard and fast date...what I would like to know is what weather/soil/turf conditions indicate that you should start winding down your fert apps for the season?
The primary issue is water... no matter what you think of 'science' it would be good to observe how water makes a difference to any fertilizer app...

I did a fert app right after the Summer heat was done in late Aug... Got some rain and never in the 90s for more than a day at a time... it typically take a couple weeks to notice the color change from the fertilizer on unirrigated turf,,, if normal moisture is available...
A few weeks later I applied Milorganite and figured that would get me through the Winter because it breaks down slower...

As it turned out,,, we didn't get adequate moisture for the ferts to soluablize and be utilized until just recently... The color has really brightened up in the past week or so becuz of all the rain...

Fully irrigated lawns that soak all the grass several times a week have a different timing,,, but it is turned off in Oct and the ground may be frozen in 2-6 weeks...

Page generated in 0.03241 seconds with 7 queries